NATIONAL PORTUGUESE EXAMINATION
The National Portuguese Examination (NPE) is an online test that engages the students in listening, speaking, reading, and writing. It is intended for high school students of Portuguese.
The NPE is intended as a motivational, extra-curricular activity and contest for students of members of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese and its chapters. The NPE is not designed for any other purpose and should not be used for assessment, placement, or proficiency testing.
- In Spring 2017, the National Portuguese Examinations (Levels 1-4) will once again be administered online.
- In order to register, teachers must log-in to the AATSP website. Once logged-in, click here to access the registration page or hover over "National Portuguese Exam" from the "Program and Activities" menu on the AATSP homepage.
- The deadline to register your students is January 31, 2017.
Registration: November 1, 2016 – January 31, 2017
Test Window: March 1, 2017 – April 10, 2017
Results will be sent to sponsors by late April
For more information, please contact:
Director of Examinations
1. Test administrators must be members in good standing of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP). Sponsors assume the following responsibilities:
Teachers may only register students who are currently enrolled in their classes (contact Director when in doubt). To ensure that students are enrolled in the registering teacher's class, the NPE Director reserves the right to request that each participating teacher submit an official class list signed by an administrator.
2. It is the responsibility of the sponsor to certify the level and category of each students. Click here for more information on levels and categories.
3. NPE fee is $5 per examination; chapter fees varies, as each chapter determines how to honor their students. A late fee of $2 per examination will be added for those who missed the January 31st deadline.
4. Click here to access the registration page (you must log-in to the AATSP website to access the page).
The online NPE is administered in 2 parts, with 40 minutes allowed for each section:
- Achievement: vocabulary and grammar
- Proficiency: reading and oral comprehension
The teachers will be able to print NPE certificates of all students according to their placement on the national percentile (this score indicates the performance of a student in relation to the performance of other students nationwide, by level and category). Gold, silver, bronze, honorary and participation are the categories of certificates awarded.
Local chapters may choose to provide additional prizes for the participants.